Business Solutions

How to Unfreeze a Credit File

If you’re applying for a mortgage or other loans and have frozen credit files, you must unfreeze them with the credit bureaus in order for a lender to pull your credit report. To do this, you must contact each credit bureau directly, typically by mail, telephone or online, to obtain a file access PIN and/or request that the file be unfrozen. You can unfreeze your file permanently or temporarily, however if temporarily, you may need to provide further authorization in order for your mortgage loan officer to pull your credit file.

Each Credit Bureau has Different Requirements:

  • Equifax® requires a four-character PIN
  • TransUnion® issues an eight-character access code beginning with the letters “TU”
  • Experian® uses a PIN up to 15 characters long (Experian has a separate authorization mechanism that does not use a PIN, but requires your mortgage lender to certify that they have a financial relationship with you.)

To unfreeze your credit line with each credit bureau, regardless of the method you choose (by phone, mail or online)*, be prepared with the following information:

  • Your complete name including any suffix (e.g., Jr., Sr., etc.)
  • Complete address
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Proof of identity, such as a valid driver’s license, birth certificate, Social Security card, passport, state or military ID, etc.
  • Proof of address, such as a valid driver’s license, utility or cell phone bill, bank or mortgage statement, pay stub, etc.
  • Payment, if required. Fees vary by state. Please refer to each credit bureau’s state-specific requirements below.

Links to Credit Bureaus

© 2017 Credit Plus, Inc, Permission granted to use this information.

This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in lieu of consultation with appropriate legal advisors. Credit Plus is not responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information.

Idaho Residents: The Idaho legislature passed bill S. 1265 which starting July 1, 2018 will require credit reporting agencies to not charge a credit report fee to temporarily freeze your credit within a twelve month period; but then they may assess a fee if you unfreeze your credit. The bill can be found here on the Idaho Legislature’s website.

*Please see the following information for online, phone, or mailing instructions from each of the three major credit reporting agencies to unfreeze your credit file:



  • Online
  • Phone: 888-909-8872
  • Mail:
    TransUnion LLC
    P.O. Box 2000
    Chester, PA 19016
New to Beehive?